ALABAMA FOLKLIFE LESSON PLANS
Other Folklore Resources:
Using Primary Resources in the Classroom
PARTNERS AND LINKS (click logos below to link to web sites)
- Alabama State Council on the Arts, Division of Arts in Education has additional grants, resources, and services.
- Alabama Alliance for Arts Education has training programs and supports advocacy in Alabama. This link takes you to the training page.
- Alabama Writer's Forum has a variety of programs benefiting youth, teachers, and families. Poetry Out Loud and Writing Our Stories are two examples. The logo will link you to their web site page about these programs.
- Alabama Public Television has a ton of resources for educators.
Original artwork by Bethanne Hill.
For more information on the artist, click on the bullfrog.
Overall CD cover design by Scott Fuller.
Access the resources below by clicking the image or text.
1. The Story of Byron Arnold: "Folksongs of Alabama" by John Bealle.
2. History Behind the Songs: An introduction followed by the "Notes to the Song Tracks" by John Bealle.
3. Bullfrog in the Classroom: Learning Guide and Lesson Plans plus resources and credits by Paddy Bowman.
4. Folksongs in Alabama: one page list of resources for further research and study.
5. Bullfrog News: Information from the Bullfrog Jumped school tour with images from programs provided throughout the state of Alabama plus information on singer Mary Chapman, and educator Jane Peavy.
6. Follow "Listen Here" links to hear audio recordings.
Mary B. Austin School, Mobile, AL 1/16/2008
"Cornbread Crumbled in Gravy" singing at Grove Hill Elementary School. LISTEN HERE
SAMPLE SONGS FROM THE CD
"Bullfrog Jumped" Singer is Lauri Cater Carlton
"Oats, Peas, Beans, and Barley Grows" Singer is