An Alabama Bicentennial Cultural Initiative of the Alabama Folklife Association
ADA: In accordance with Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, all programs of the AFA are held in venues that meet these standards. Special accommodations for persons with visual and hearing disabilities will be met upon request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 205.956.9888.
Alabama Bicentennial Projects
I. Introduction: To contribute to the programs, projects, and events dedicated to recognizing Alabama's 200th Birthday in 2019, the Alabama Folklife Association (AFA) will be implementing two projects that are offspring of the Common Threads series.
II. Folkways Quilt Collection: AFA will accumulate squares from all over the state that will accomplish the following:
- Produce up to five quilts inspired by the following culture expressions: foodways, occupational folklore, traditional music, sporting (hunting, fishing, race car, football, baseball, etc.), and annual festivals or community events.
- Encourage local persons, communities, organizations, businesses, and institutions in Alabama to participate.
- Ensure squares are completed using traditional techniques with allowance for artistic freedoms and cultural change over time.
- Document local folkways and culture by requiring that submissions be accompanied with information about the square and the decision-making process as recorded through written, oral, photographic, or video formats.
AVAILABLE January 1, 2019: Instruction booklet with lots of information on Alabama quilt makers, detailed instructions of five quilt making techniques, submission process in order to participate, deadlines, and further information.
A One-Day Event for Everyone, so get together, organize, and publicize!
- Build a sense of community among all residents of Alabama.
- Encourage intergenerational activity.
- Garner support and publicity for the arts.
- Make the arts accessible to underserved populations.
- Demonstrate the contributions of the arts to quality of life in Alabama.
COMMON THREADS OVERALL GOALS SINCE 2014:
- Encourage the identification and promotions of local quilt makers and quilting traditions.
- Enhance an appreciation for and understanding of folk and traditional arts by facilitating the passage of knowledge and skills to the next generation.
- Inspire persons of all ages through education in the arts.
- Honor the work of previous, current, and future master artists in Alabama.
- Support the development, growth, and success of entrepreneurs and locally owned businesses associated with quilt making that create jobs in the arts and enhance tax revenues.
- Collaborate with educational and cultural institutions as well as other nonprofit organizations all over the state of Alabama that contribute to heritage preservation and community development.
Documents for Download:
II. Contribute to the Quilt Collection:
1. Folklife topics to inspire your square.
2. Tell us about your square.
3. Instructions to submit by April 15, 2019.
III. Quilt Across Alabama
2.For Quilt Across Alabama, use the contact form to provide the following: local event name; time; and place.